Friday, February 1, 2008

Honey Wheat bread with Sunflower and Pumpkin seeds

Look at this beautiful bread I baked. I have to say that it is one of the best breads that I've baked so far. It is a basic Honey whole wheat recipe but I tweaked it a bit and added raw sunflower seeds, raw pumpkin seeds, ground flax seeds and wheat germ. It came out so soft and fluffy, not dense at all. My goal is to begin baking our bread myself and try to eliminate as much processed foods as possible. I've been doing some reading on processed foods and preservatives and they are horrible for us. So this is a start to a more natural eating for the Withers family. Oh and you cant beat fresh baked bread.



These are the ingredients that I used. Well some of them, what you dont see is the shortening....shhh

Nice and hot right out of the oven. Look at the beautiful golden crust....mmmm


Cooled and sliced with butter. You cant tell me that doesn't look good.


And mommy's little helper. She didn't really help just played and danced in the kitchen.

Here is the recipe if you are interested.

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 (.25 ounce) package rapid rise yeast
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup melted shortening
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seed
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
  • 2 tablespoons butter


DIRECTIONS

  1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water.
  2. Combine milk, 1/4 cup water, shortening, honey, salt and wheat flour in food processor or bowl. Mix in yeast mixture, and let rest 15 minutes. Add white flour, and process until dough forms a ball. Knead dough by processing an additional 80 seconds in food processor, or mix and knead by hand 10 minutes. Place the dough in a buttered bowl, and turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rise for 45 minutes, or until almost doubled.
  3. Punch down, and divide dough in half. Roll out each half, and pound out the bubbles. Form into loaves, and place in buttered 9x5 inch bread pans. Butter the tops of the dough, and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm area until doubled; second rise should take about 30 minutes.
  4. Place a small pan of water on the bottom shelf of the oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  5. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until tops are dark golden brown. Butter crusts while warm. Slice when cool.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Thanks Nicole!! I just told Bobby the other night that I want to bake bread! Thanks - we must be thinking on the same wave length!

Hope you are having a great weekend!

parkers said...

That bread looks really good Nic! I will attempt to show vanessa how to do this on her own. Wish me luck! You did a great job on your blog, good idea.